Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Simplicity

This past year has brought much conviction about stuff. Material possessions tend to take over our home in every nook and cranny. I began to feel overwhelmed by all that we have. I just couldn't seem to find the space and the time to take care of it all. The kids would go from activity to activity dumping and throwing. I began to wonder if all this "stuff" was overwhelming for them too? Why do we think we need so much? Why do we continue to act as though material things will bring us some sort of joy or satisfaction? Slowly I began to realize even if I got rid of half of our things, we would still have a lot. We are teaching our children about other countries, cultures, children, and families and trying to teach them how blessed we are. Right now we are learning about India. We have learned that most of the country lives on 1 dollar a day! That's right! ONE DOLLAR! It's unthinkable! We have much to be grateful for.

With what and how am I filling my time and how are my children filling their time? How is it that stuff begins to own us and not the other way around?

It's amazing how children can find such pleasure in the simplest of activities if we would just allow them the time and do away with all the plastic, tv and videos games.

I began cleaning out and dumping, selling, and giving away. What a wonderful and freeing thing it is! I still have a ways to go and I am still a bit overwhelmed with stuffness but we are getting there and well on our way to becoming a simplistic home. The atmosphere is so much more peaceful and pleasant, it's so wonderful that we don't have heaps to clean up. I can spend my time doing other things instead because I'm not wasting so much precious time cleaning and putting away!

I'm thankful God is opening my heart and my eyes so that I might see.